Thursday, September 29, 2011

Autumn Sunflowers

Last spring, I didn't bother to plant any flowers in my yard like I do every year because Tim and I were too involved with our May 1st wedding planning to care about our yard. I also knew we would be away for our honeymoon for 2 weeks and I didn't want to have to worry about who was at home watering my flowers.

About a month after we got home from our wedding/honeymoon and settled back into real life, I took a good look at my sad, empty back porch and I really wished I had planted flowers back in the spring.

I really need flowers in my life!  So one weekend  in late June I spent a quiet afternoon out on the porch planting some old flower seeds I had found from the year before. One packet of seeds I had laying around were sunflower seeds. I had no idea if the old seeds were any good or not, but it was worth a try.

I put the seeds in some pots of dirt and I watered them for a few weeks. Soon I saw little baby sunflowers beginning to grow~

See the sunflower seeds that popped open and are still holding fast to the tops of the tiny plants?



After a few days of holding on tight, the sunflower seeds loosened up and dropped off of the plants:


My sunflowers kept growing on the back porch throughout the month of July and in the beginning of August I transplanted them all to the empty flower beds in the front yard.

Now I have some healthy autumn sunflowers getting ready to bloom any day now!






No comments:

Post a Comment