I'll give you the quick version of how I got a new screened porch:
I wanted to plant some flowers in front of my big livingroom window. If you were reading my bloggy last fall, you may remember when we tore out the huge ugly bush from the front of the house.
Here is a pic of the ugly bush:
And a shot of Timmy removing the bush last fall:
Finally, the bush was GONE!!!
We left it like that over the winter, and I really wanted to plant colorful flowers in that spot under the big window. No big deal, right??
I told Tim back in February that I was planning to plant flowers and if he wanted to paint the house this year, could we please do it BEFORE the flowers get planted. I didn't want my flowers to be trampled, or sprayed with paint.
Tim said it was fine to paint the house, we both agree the gray color makes the house look drab and dull.
He also said he would like to replace the screened in porch boards before we paint the house. He noticed they were beginning to rot. Personally, I would have just painted the rotting boards, and replaced them later. But Timmy said they really needed to be replaced before we paint.
At that point, I was ready to wait until NEXT year to replace boards, paint the house and plant my flowers. We already had a few inside projects going on, and I wasn't prepared for porch construction yet.
This is the screened porch as it looked last summer. The boards that needed to be replaced were the thin horizontal boards - shown here just above the top of the chair. Also, all of the thin vertical posts and the corner posts needed to be replaced.
My Timmy is not one to put things off. Within 2 weeks he had talked to our neighbor-friend who has a home remodeling business and asked for an estimate.
The estimate came back at $1700.00
Really, all I wanted to do was plant flowers in front of my house. Now we are looking at $1700.00 for a few porch boards?? Apparently, I have a lot to learn about how the corner posts actually hold up the roof, and replacing those was a pretty big deal.
Fast forward to May, and we were getting ready for construction.
We emptied the porch.
View from inside the kitchen:
Everything from the concrete floor to the roof line had to be replaced, including all of the screen:
See the doggie door beside the screen door? We need a better plan for that.
The open dog door also lets bugs in.
And the rotting wood was worse than I had really thought:
In the end of May the construction began.
We had to go ahead pick the house color and the trim color that we are planning to paint the house. The new porch boards are being painted in creamy beige. This will be the trim color of the house. The actual house color will be a light sage green.
Of course, as the old porch was torn down, we found that part of the actual house on the north side was rotting away. There is a problem with the way that porch roof is connected to the house. Somehow, water is getting under the roof shingles and under the shingles on the side of the house. It looks like we have more work to do on that side of the house now.
The posts look un-evenly spaced for a reason. Eventually there will be a front porch added to the front of the house. The wider area you see behind the pink chair will have a doorway going from the screened porch to the front porch.
Eventually we will get indoor/outdoor carpeting or some sort of floor treatment to cover the concrete. The ceiling needs to be scraped and painted, and we need a ceiling fan.
The gray wall will eventually be painted sage green when we paint the house.
Those big shades were given to us by a neighbor. They work fine for now to give us a little privacy, but they will eventually come down. I'm not sure what I want to replace them with, but I have a few ideas brewing.
And after all that, we need patio furniture. I would like some sort of love seat or chaise lounge with a lot of pillows.
The other side of the porch still needs some work too.
We have a new and improved doggie door, and a new screen door too! This door will have a new coat of paint by the time summer is over. I like the way it looks like a gate on the bottom half.
And the part I didn't like; we had to replace our back door. Our old door was wood. It was a heavy door and I liked it.
This door is not wood and I haven't grown to love it yet. A coat of paint and some curtains should help. I'm working on that.
I'll keep you updated as we make more changes to the porch.
For now, here is a before and after (well, maybe a "before" and an "in-progress")
oh, and before I go.......here is a shot of the outside.