Thursday, September 13, 2012

Recovering Kitchen Chairs

My sister gave me her table and chairs a few months ago. She moved into a smaller house and didn't have room for it so Tim and I inherited it.

Here is our old oak kitchen table (I really loved it):

And this is our "new" oak table and chairs:


It took me a while to warm up to the new set, but I really like it now. One thing I wanted to do was recover the chairs. The material they were covered in was white and a very heavy material that I didn't like.




A few weeks ago Tim and I walked around the fabric store for quite a while, but nothing jumped out at us. Since upholstry fabric is expensive, we decided to wait until we found something we really like instead of buying something we were just ok with.

Then last weekend, Tim's mom gave me several bolts of heavy fabric that she didn't want anymore.

One of them was a grey/blue stripe that I thought would be OK for the chairs.




It's not REALLY what I want on the chairs, but it was free. I like the blue stripe better than I like the original white chair covers, so I decided to go for it.

First I turned one of the chairs over and took out the screws holding the seat in place



After taking out the 10,000 staples that held the original white fabric on the seat, I had a seat board and a piece of foam




I cut a piece of material off of the bolt, and wrapped it around my seat board and foam. I used my staple gun to staple the fabric to the bottom of the chair.


It took about 20 minutes to recover each chair.

To tell you the truth, I don't love the blue striped fabric on these chairs. I think the blue is better than the original white that they came with, but I'll re-do them again when we find some fabric we love. We're still looking.


I'll be sure to post again and let you know what I find.

Until then, here are a few pics of our "new" table, looking pretty:




We have some big projects going on in the kitchen right now...........

HINT: That knotty pine on the kitchen walls is getting a makeover!

No comments:

Post a Comment