Monday, November 12, 2012

Really good pot roast cooked in the oven

It got chilly yesterday!! I do not like the cold weather at all, but I sure do love the good hearty wintertime dinners.

Last night I made another of my REALLY good roasts and I thought I would share the recipe.

I rarely cook my pot roasts in a crock pot, because it makes the potatoes and carrots all mushy and everything ends up tasting the same. Cooking the roast in the oven is just so much better.

Here is my recipe for REALLY GOOD ROAST:

My measurements are not exact, use more or less according to your taste.

I used a Pikes Peak roast for this meal, which is also called a bottom round roast. This is actually the toughest of all of the roasts, but I made mine juicy and fork tender. I also use chuck roast or any other type of roast for this recipe. It really doesn't matter which type of roast you use. They all work fine, some take more time to cook than others.

I always start my roasts by braising them first. The flavor is so worth this extra step.

Heat a few tablespoons of oil on med-high heat and brown the roast quickly on all sides. I use 2 forks to hold my roast up while I braise the skinny sides.

The roast should only take 2-3 minutes per side to braise.


After braising, transfer the roast to a glass or other oven proof casserole type dish.


Now, cut up an onion, I use largish chunks



And throw the onion chunks into the same pan you just took the meat out of. I only fry up my onion chunks about half way to transparency. This gives the roast a lot of flavor




Throw the onion chunks on top of your roast in the casserole dish.


For the liquid, I usually use beef bullion mixed with water. I use a lot of bullion, usually about 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons mixed with 3 or 4 cups of very hot water.



You can also use beef broth.



Add a tablespoon or two of Worchestershire sauce





I use this minced garlic in a jar. A half tablespoon is good, use more if you like more garlic flavor.





 And salt and pepper







This is my roast before it went in the oven:





Cover with a lid, or tin foil and bake at 325 degrees for several hours.

The lower tamp, plus the long cooking time will make this roast so tender!!!

I made a 3-4 pound roast last night, and it took about 3.5 hours of total cooking time to get the roast tender. Of course smaller roasts take less time. 

Jack is the roast superviser


After about 1 and a half hours of cooking time, check on the roast to make sure there is still enough liquid. I like to keep the liquid about halfway up the pan. Add more beef broth or bullion/water if necessary. You can also add more Worchestershire sauce and salt and pepper too.


You will know your roast is getting close to done when you can use a fork to begin to pull it apart in the pan. Just try to pull on a corner or edge. 
If your roast will pull apart with a fork, but yet still a bit firm, keep cooking it.  





I add my carrots about an hour before the roast will be done, and I add the potatoes and green beans about 30 minutes before the roast is done. The picture above was taken just after I threw in my potatoes and green beans. You can't really see the carrots, but they are in there, under the potatoes.  Don't forget to put the lid or tinfoil back on to finish cooking.


Keep checking with your fork, when the roast pulls apart easily, it's dinner-time!!!

OH YUM!!!! Perfect again!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment