Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Living Room update - Dec 2013

We are making progress on our living room too.

I'm so ready to get going on re-doing the floor in here, and I want to buy a huge colorful rug. 

My decorating kind of came to a halt when I was getting ready for my huge cruise a few months ago. Now I'm ready to get going on finishing this room up but it looks like I am going to have to wait some more. 

Tim has some major electrical work he wants to do on the whole house. He needs to rewire the entire house, which will involve punching holes throughout the drywall all over the house. I'm not sure when he will start this, but I have a feeling it's coming soon. He's been talking about it a lot lately. 

As long as he is rewiring the whole house and cutting up the walls, he decided to put new drywall up rather than repair what we have. Sooooooooo.............I might as well stop what I'm doing with the decorating because it will all be taken down and I'll have to start over.

It took me FOREVER to get this living room painted!  I should be very frustrated that I will have to do it all over again, but I'm not. 

There are a few reasons why I don't mind. 

1. We will have brand new drywall in the entire house! I can't complain about that, can I? He's also going to put some insulation in the walls, so we will have more of a sound barrier between the living room and our bedroom, which share a common wall. It will also help keep the house warmer in the winter when we have insulation on all of the outside walls.

2. There are several layers of wallpaper under the paint in the living room. I really should have taken the time to remove it all, and I have regretted not doing it the last time I repainted. Now I won't have to go through the hassle of removing all that paper. 

3. I used semi-gloss paint when I painted the living room walls this last time! Yikes! It's a little shinier than it should be, and I didn't even notice my mistake until the entire living room was painted and our neighbor pointed it out. 
Whoops!! 
So I knew after that, I was going to have to redo the living room walls anyway. 

So it looks like the entire living room is going to be completely gutted and re-done at some point in the nearish future.

Here is where we are at right now. 
Tim is going to replace the front door, we have been looking at doors and we haven't decided which one to get. The one we have looks fine, but it's very drafty around the edges. 



Tim's mom gave us her leather love seat and chair. They fit perfectly in the space.


We have been talking about the floor a lot lately too. We have looked into laying new hardwood floor on top of this one, or refinishing the existing floor.
We decided since we have to empty the room to re-do the drywall, we might as well re-finish the existing floor at the same time.
I think we decided we want a dark colored stain in here. I do not like the orangy color it is now. The floor looks pretty bad, it's all scuffed and scratched up.


So, although we have made progress on the living room, I have stopped doing anything to this room. I'm putting my focus on some other things until we get some of the big projects done and I can get back to decorating.
More living room updates coming when we start removing drywall..........that should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment