Friday, August 31, 2012

Neighborhood Wildlife

A month or two ago, my father-in-law made a facebook post about how we should all leave some water available for the squirrels and birds. We were having such a bad drought this summer, and I thought this was a really good idea.

I used the bottom part of one of my planters, and left some water under the big tree in my front yard.



Very quickly, I noticed we had some thirsty critters in our neighborhood.

This squirrel lives in our tree. We watch him go in and out of his squirrel hole way up at the top of the tree.

Look at his (her?) cute little front feet perched on the water dish! Adorable!

I had a chance to get a few pics of the adorable squirrel before it scampered away.



This squirrel also came out for a drink. He (she?) lives in my neighbor's tree. I can tell this one from the others because it has an injured tail. See how it's tail is all flat and not fluffy and squirrel like? Poor baby!


Last week I was sitting on my screened in porch and I noticed a hummingbird fluttering around just outside by the small tree.

A HUMMINGBIRD!!!! I love hummingbirds!

So a few days later, Timmy took me to the hardware store and we bought a Hummingbird feeder.
Tim picked this one out. We liked it because it's a little different than the regular hummingbird feeders. This one is glass and shaped like a globe.

We hung it from the side of the porch so I can watch the Hummingbirds from inside the porch when I'm out there.




And look!!!! A Hummingbird!!! How cute is that??!!


Next we hung a regular birdfeeder and a birdhouse to the tree outside.


I got this feeder for $3.00 at a garage sale last summer. Bird feeders and birdhouses are SO expensive and I guess I'm too cheap to buy a new one. This one still has some life left in it.


And this is one of those $1.00 birdhouses from Michael's Arts & Crafts. I painted it orange and purple. I don't think anyone has moved in yet. We might have to wait for spring to see baby birdies in there.


Sigh....I guess I'm getting old. I am perfectly content to sit on my porch and watch the neighborhood widllife, and to watch the neighborhood kids ride their bikes and play up and down the street. I think I need to get out more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment