Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Working on my flower garden

I think spring is finally here. Considering we had snow in Kansas City 2 weeks ago, I am really happy to see the sunshine!

We have so much we want to do to the front of the house, it's hard to know where to start. We want to paint the house, add a front porch, do some landscaping, re-do the sidewalk, move the driveway. Basically, the whole front of the house will eventually look very different than it does now.

Working on the outside has been slow going...........we have a lot of projects going on inside the house right now that have been taking priority. We have some expensive electrical work to do, so the big projects outside of the house have to take a backseat for a while longer.

This year, I thought I would at least plant some flowers since the front yard has been looking so sad waiting for it's makeover.

 I'll start with a few "before" pictures so you can see how far we have come in the last 5 years.

When we moved in, there was an ugly giant bush under the front window



Here is a close up of the ugly giant bush. That thing was bigger than a king sized bed, and impossible to trim.




We pulled out the bush in 2011, you can read about that here.


So this was what our front yard looked like for a while without the bush




This picture was taken last week:




 I decided I could no longer have a pitiful front yard. I decided to plant flowers and try to pep things up a bit.

I started with the round bed in the middle of the yard.


This round bed used to have a rock border around it, but I removed the big rocks last year.

The rocks would shift, and were impossible to mow around.
This pic was taken a few years ago:



Last weekend, I bought a little fence border to put around the round bed, and it looks much better now



Then I went to work on this mess:



I dug out a curved bed. My first attempt looked pretty bad, but I finally got a shape I liked




It came out pretty good in the end:





I added a few more pots of flowers on the stairs, and some hanging pots.




My giant daisy!!! She's pretty!



In front of the screened porch, I hung several bird houses and feeders. Tim's mom gave us a few new bird houses and feeders this year. I love them, and it seems the birds do too!

Eventually I will clean up this weedy area and plant flowers here too.


I'm really happy with the progress I made on the front yard. I have a lot more to do but so far so good.





No comments:

Post a Comment